New medical facility on town centre redevelopment site
Posted on 28 February 2012.
Dr Astbury & Partners has been established for more than 90 years and currently serves the area of Duston and beyond from two centres, one located in Duston village the other located in Harlestone Road. The practice serves approximately 19,000 patients but with the current and planned residential development in the area this number is set to rise to 25,000 patients. The existing buildings could not be satisfactorily extended or altered to accommodate this expansion so new premises were sought.
As part of the planning permission granted for the redevelopment of the former British Timken site in Duston, conditions were imposed requiring the developer to make provision to improve healthcare locally. In consultation with NHS Northamptonshire, some land was allocated as a site for a new medical centre. The practice acquired this land to construct the new facility.
St Lukes Medical Centre will offer modern up to date facilities for up to 25,000 patients and will include space for a pharmacy, optician, dentistry and other complimentary medicines. Whilst the developer is involved with the premises, the practice will in fact own them on completion.
Philip Weston was appointed as the practice’s representative following the selection of the development contractor. He has worked closely with the doctors and their Practice Manager throughout the protracted pre-contract stage of the development. Following the signing of the official contract, Philip continues to be involved in the construction phase.
Philip’s involvement encompasses the following:
- An initial technical and compliance audit of the developer’s proposals.
- A review of the design to resolve issues between the developer and the client.
- A review of the financial appraisal and advice on costs for construction projections.
- A review of the developer’s construction package and advice on any contractual issues.
- Advice on issues arising from the planning process relating to the design, access statements, transport plans and the eventual conditions attached to the consent.
- A review of the land procurement proposals and advice on additional requirements to comply with planning conditions.
- Liaison with the legal representatives over issues relating to land acquisition, planning matters, legal rights and the construction agreement.
- Approval with the Practice Manager of the final development package to be included in the contractual documentation.
- Advice to the funding body on the proposals. Philip was also appointed to act on the funding body’s behalf in monitoring the development and commenting on applications for payment.
- In conjunction with the Practice Manager, attending all contractor site meetings, monitoring progress and liaising with the developer/design build contractor over construction issues.
- Receiving applications for payment from the contractor and making recommendations to the funding body to release the funds.